It's Monday, What Are You Reading?


It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? a place to meet up and share what you have been, and are about to be reading over the week. It’s a great post to organize yourself. It’s an opportunity to visit and comment and er… add to your groaning TBR pile! This meme by Kathryn at The Book Date
_____________________

WHAT I AM READING...


GOLDEN BOY BY JOHN GLATT
 
I chose a true crime book for this month's read in our year-long nonfiction challenge and I am really enjoying it. It is a great study on how ignoring mental illness can destroy a family.

SUMMARY:
By all accounts, Thomas Gilbert Jr. led a charmed life. The son of a wealthy financier, he grew up surrounded by a loving family and all the luxury an Upper East Side childhood could provide: education at the elite Buckley School and Deerfield Academy, summers in a sprawling seaside mansion in the Hamptons. With his striking good lucks, he moved with ease through glittering social circles and followed in his father's footsteps to Princeton.

But Tommy always felt different. The cracks in his façade began to show in warning signs of OCD, increasing paranoia, and--most troubling--an inexplicable hatred of his father. As his parents begged him to seek psychiatric help, Tommy pushed back by self-medicating with drugs and escalating violence. When a fire destroyed his former best friend's Hamptons home, Tommy was the prime suspect--but he was never charged. Just months later, he arrived at his parents' apartment, calmly asked his mother to leave, and shot his father point-blank in the head.

Journalist John Glatt takes an in-depth look at the devastating crime that rocked Manhattan's upper class. With exclusive access to sources close to Tommy, including his own mother, Glatt constructs the agonizing spiral of mental illness that led Thomas Gilbert Jr. to the ultimate unspeakable act.


THE NINE BY JEANNE MCWILLIAMS BLASBERG

Just started this while ironing this morning. I found it as a free book on Audible and it sounded right up my alley. 

SUMMARY:
Hannah Webber fears she will never be a mother, but her prayers are finally answered when she gives birth to a son. In an era of high-stakes parenting, nurturing Sam’s intellect becomes Hannah’s life purpose. She invests body and soul into his development, much to the detriment of her marriage. She convinces herself, however, that Sam’s acceptance at age fourteen to the most prestigious of New England boarding schools overseen by an illustrious headmaster, justifies her choices.

When he arrives at Dunning, Sam is glad to be out from under his mother’s close watch. And he enjoys his newfound freedom―until, late one night, he stumbles upon evidence of sexual misconduct at the school and is unable to shake the discovery.

Both a coming-of-age novel and a portrait of an evolving mother-son relationship, The Nine is the story of a young man who chooses to expose a corrupt world operating under its own set of rules―even if it means jeopardizing his mother’s hopes and dreams.

WHAT I READ...


This has been my favorite book of the month, but then again, I love The Legend of Sleepy Hollow.



As much as I want to be a cool kid over on Insta...I am not. I have tried reading three of Hendrix's books and all of them have fallen rather flat for me, despite everyone else loving them.

WHAT I AM READING NEXT...

This has been trouble even for me LOL I am having a hard time reading this month, so far nothing I pick up is wowing me, I guess I will just see where my mood takes me at the time...

CAN'T WAIT TO SEE WHAT ALL YOU ARE READING SO BE SURE TO DROP YOUR LINK INTO THE COMMENTS SO I CAN COME BY AND VISIT.


Comments

  1. Golden Boy looks good. I like non-fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My reading has been spectacular either this month, sadly enough. 😕

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Horseman looks good - will definitely check it out. I always liked the Sleepy Hollow legend. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, that's an awesome cover for Horseman.

    Sorry Grady Hendrix isn't working for you. One of my friends doesn't care for his work either. I discovered him last year and immediately read almost all of his back catalog. I'm currently working on Final Girl Support Group! I hope you find something you like soon. Reading slumps are the worst.

    Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read Horrorstor in print and listened to The Final Girls Support Group, and liked both. But I can't bear to read true crime in any format, so I'm not a cool kid either! ;) Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice looking books. I hope you enjoy them.
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read any of these, but I don't read much horror or mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't read a lot of true crime, but Golden Boy sounds like a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the Horseman cover. I liked The Girl in Red by Henry and think I would like this too.
    Thanks for the heads up on The Nine. The Final Girl ... looks gruesome.
    Thanks for visiting my blog and have a good week and Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh that second one sounds good! And I've been mulling Final Girl Support...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I definitely was struggling to find the right book for me to read but this week I managed to!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I missed the prompt this week, was out of town and had no time to post :) Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah that you enjoyed Christina Henry's book! Thanks for stopping by! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Can't Wait Wednesdays: Summer Sons by Lee Mandelo

Sunday Salon- More Hot Weather and More House Reno's

Sunday Salon: Diningroom is finished!