Book Review: Unknown Assailant by J.L. Doucette


 GOODREADS SUMMARY:

Dr. Pepper Hunt and Detective Beau Antelope team up again to investigate a tragic murder/suicide in a prominent ranch family in the small town of Farson, Wyoming. As they explore events leading up to the night of the disturbing crime they are drawn into the dark heart of a troubled family touched by a legacy of trauma.

TEE'S THOUGHTS

Call me a bit childish, but every time I read Dr. Pepper Hunt's name in Unknown Assailant it gave me a bit of a giggle. I just want to get that out of the way so I could start in on how I really felt about the book.

I have never read one of The Dr. Pepper Hunt Books, but Unknown Assialent is the third book in the series. Granted I am not a huge reader of detective books that center around one detective, I was able to quickly read this book without any problem understanding the story and some of the main characters' back story. It was easily read as a stand-alone, but would most likely be a more in-depth story if you knew more about the characters and area in which they were in.

The book was a well-written mystery with short chapters, which I am a huge fan of, nothing worse than having to stop reading mid-chapter. POVs were mainly from Dr. Hunt and Antelope, who is the local detective, but there were a few others thrown in also. 

Doucette did a fantastic job writing her characters, they were relatable because they were not perfect, I love flawed characters, they make me feel more comfortable. I did feel at times that the number of characters in the book made the story a bit cluttered, especially when trying to keep up with relationships between the family.

And speaking of the family, they provide a great bit of drama and secrets, and the author twists and turns the story well, giving you a great plot-driven murder to read and enjoy.

Unknown Assailant is a heavy dose of mystery you will not want to miss and that will keep you guessing.

Thank you Booksparks for the review copy, I will be adding more of Dr. Hunt to my TBR in the future.


Comments

  1. I love the name Dr. Pepper too! Sounds like a nice book.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Can't Wait Wednesdays: Summer Sons by Lee Mandelo

Sunday Salon- More Hot Weather and More House Reno's

Sunday Salon: Diningroom is finished!