It Is Monday What Are You Reading?



It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? a place to meet up and share what you have been, and are about to be reading over the week. It’s a great post to organize yourself. It’s an opportunity to visit and comment and er… add to your groaning TBR pile! This meme by Kathryn at The Book Date

-WHAT I HAVE READ-

How ever slow I am reading I have been able to get a few books finished. I think when I finish up the month of February I will have read maybe four books! But I have enjoyed taking my time with my reading, I have been enjoying it more, so I am not even going to complain!

Here is what I have finished lately since my last post...


ANATOMY BY DANA SCHWARTS

This book left time a bit disappointed...kind of. It caught my attention because it said it was a " gothic " tale...I love my gothic lit, but it just wasn't. It actually had none of the elements of a gothic story whatsoever. BUT what it did have was a wonderful story of an upper-class girl in the 1800's that fought to become a surgeon, in a time when surgeons were only men and it was considered a job below any one of standards. If you go in, thinking it is historical fiction, with a bit of romance thrown in, you will enjoy Anatomy, because it was good in that sense.


NIGHT SHIFT BY ALEX FINLAY

I really enjoyed Alex Finlay's first book Every Last Fear, so was quick to read Night Shift, which will be published on March 1. If you like fast twisty thrillers this book will be right up your liking. I am not good at figuring out thrillers, as much as I would love to think I am lol, so this one really surprised me at the end. I did really enjoy the ending, however.



LORE BY ALEXANDRA BRACKEN

This was my trouble book. It took me three weeks to read...THREE WEEKS!!! There is so much to love about this book, as well as so much to hate. It drags...horribly in places, there are so many characters I often got confused, but I loved reading it, and loved the concept of the story.

-WHAT I AM READING-


MYTHOS BY STEPHEN FRY

Any Stephen Fry fans out there? I just love his comedy, and for that reason, I chose to listen to Mythos instead of reading it ( I do own a great publication of the book that includes works of art, etc, of the gods he is speaking of ) While he isn't a comedian while reading, he does put in things you will chuckle about and his wit is hard to miss, but his explanation of the Greeks is on point. I really feel like this book is excellent for anyone who wants to learn about Greek Mythology but finds it a bit overwhelming.

Summary:
Mythos is a modern collection of Greek myths, stylishly retold by legendary writer, actor, and comedian Stephen Fry. Fry transforms the adventures of Zeus and the Olympians into emotionally resonant and deeply funny stories, without losing any of their original wonder.

This stunning book features classical artwork inspired by the myths, as well as learned notes from the author. Each adventure is infused with Fry's distinctive wit, voice, and writing style. Connoisseurs of the Greek myths will appreciate this fresh-yet-reverential interpretation, while newcomers will feel welcome. Retellings brim with humor and emotion and offer rich cultural context

Celebrating the thrills, grandeur, and unabashed fun of the Greek myths, Mythos breathes life into ancient tales—from Pandora's box to Prometheus's fire.

This gorgeous volume invites you to explore a captivating world with the brilliant storyteller Stephen Fry as your guide.


HOW TO SURVIVE A SCANDAL BY SAMARA PARISH

This is my " it took me three weeks to read my last book I need a break " book and it is doing exactly what I wanted it to. 

Summary:
Lady Amelia was raised to be the perfect duchess, accomplished in embroidery, floral arrangement, and managing a massive household. But when an innocent mistake forces her and the uncouth, untitled Benedict Asterly into a marriage of convenience, all her training appears to be for naught. Even worse, she finds herself inexplicably drawn to this man no finishing school could have prepared her for.

Benedict Asterly never dreamed saving Amelia’s life would lead to him being shackled to the hoity Society miss. Benedict was taught to distrust the aristocracy at a young age, so when news of his marriage endangers a business deal, Benedict is wary of Amelia’s offer to help. But his quick-witted, elegant bride defies all his expectations... and if he’s not careful, she’ll break down the walls around his guarded heart.



THE CHOSEN BY CHAIM POTOK
 
This year on the blog instead of our usual book club, we decided to try something a bit different. We gathered 6 readers from all around the states and had them pick out their favorite book and send it to one of the readers to read, and then at the end of the allotted time, that person will send it to their chosen person. So basically at the end of the year, we will have read books chosen for us by other readers. Not for the faint of heart, each reader was given an ink color to make notations in the book while reading.
The Chosen was the first book sent to me. This is a very Jewish book so of course, I have seen the movie several times and I am enjoying seeing the difference in the two.

Summary:
It is the now-classic story of two fathers and two sons and the pressures on all of them to pursue the religion they share in the way that is best suited to each. And as the boys grow into young men, they discover in the other a lost spiritual brother, and a link to an unexplored world that neither had ever considered before. In effect, they exchange places, and find the peace that neither will ever retreat from again.

--------

What are you reading this week? Anything I should check out? Drop your link in comments to let me know!

Comments

  1. I like the cover of Anatomy but I don't get gothic or historical fiction vibes from it. I do like the story line as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Night Shift looks really good and I love the cover. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow….LOVED The Night Shift. Chilling but very good.

    ENJOY!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sure have a nice list of books. I've heard mixed reviews about Anatomy, but that cover sure is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, good to know before going in Anatomy! Though I do want to read it! And while it's too bad that reading Lore was difficult, I'm glad that you enjoyed the story! Thanks for stopping by! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have heard such great things about The Night Shift. I'm known for switching to something lighter and easier after a tough read as well. Thanks for sharing and for visiting my blog last week.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Can't Wait Wednesdays: Summer Sons by Lee Mandelo

Sunday Salon- More Hot Weather and More House Reno's

Sunday Salon: Diningroom is finished!