Book Review: The Bodyguard by Katherine Center


 GOOD READS SUMMARY:
She’s got his back. 
Hannah Brooks looks more like a kindergarten teacher than somebody who could kill you with a wine bottle opener. Or a ballpoint pen. Or a dinner napkin. But the truth is, she’s an Executive Protection Agent (aka "bodyguard"), and she just got hired to protect superstar actor Jack Stapleton from his middle-aged, corgi-breeding stalker.

He’s got her heart. 
Jack Stapleton’s a household name—captured by paparazzi on beaches the world over, famous for, among other things, rising out of the waves in all manner of clingy board shorts and glistening like a Roman deity. But a few years back, in the wake of a family tragedy, he dropped from the public eye and went off the grid.

They’ve got a secret. 
When Jack’s mom gets sick, he comes home to the family’s Texas ranch to help out. Only one catch: He doesn’t want his family to know about his stalker. Or the bodyguard thing. And so Hannah—against her will and her better judgment—finds herself pretending to be Jack’s girlfriend as a cover. Even though her ex, like a jerk, says no one will believe it.

What could possibly go wrong??? 
Hannah hardly believes it, herself. But the more time she spends with Jack, the more real it all starts to seem. And there lies the heartbreak. Because it’s easy for Hannah to protect Jack. But protecting her own, long-neglected heart? That’s the hardest thing she’s ever done.

TEE'S THOUGHTS

I have seen so many mixed reviews about this book, but I was determined to listen to it and I am glad I did, I enjoyed it, but then again I love a good fake romance trope. ( I also felt the friends to lovers would work well here also )

I like both Hannah and Jack, the main characters. Hannah, who I found to be a strong female character, took her job as bodyguard to Hollywood Action Hero Jack seriously, I mean, she was pretty badass! 
Jack was down to earth, not overly Hollywood, so he was easy to like. Their relationship was built over the time of the story, however, I don't feel like it ever really captured my emotions, there were many times I felt it was more of a strong friendship than lovers. There wasn't a lot of spice or tension between the two in the story and I think that might have swayed my liking just a bit, so if you like a spicy tense filled romance, I am not sure this book would be for you.

I will have to say that my favorite relationship in the book is Hannah's and Jack's family. They were all some of my favorite characters and pretty much stole the book for me. I was not as fond of the agents that worked with Hannah, found them a bit too sleazy for my liking.

This was my first book by Katherine Center and I look forward to reading more of her. I found the writing and story to be enjoyable and easy to read, and I loved the location being a Texas ranch. I do have one complaint with the book, ok so maybe this is my second since I did mention it lacked spice and tension. In the book, there is a lot of tension between Jack and his brother, and they have a long conversation, but I felt that the author dropped the ball with it. I would have liked to have had it in the book...like I am nosy, I needed to be privy to it.

I did not read the book, I was lucky enough to get an early copy of the audiobook that was narrated by Patti Murin. I really enjoyed her narration, she wasn't boring in her reading, and overall, it was an entertaining performance. 

Thank you to Macmillian Audio and Netgalley for the advance listen.

Comments

  1. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I have the ARC, but haven't got to it yet. I've loved everything else by Katherine Center.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Can't Wait Wednesdays: Summer Sons by Lee Mandelo

Sunday Salon- More Hot Weather and More House Reno's

BOOK BEGINNINGS ON FRIDAY : BEFORE PITTSBURGH BY KASIE WHITENER